Sunday, February 8, 2009

Our Funny Little Bug

I love putting stories of Aubrey on my blog, since I am pretty much using this blog as my journal. This way I can have a record of the cute/funny things she does. So, sorry if you are all tired out of Aubrey stories cause this post is full of them!!


Sanitary New Pastime

Aubrey has been working on trying the flush the toilet for months. This last week she finally discovered that she could do it by using both hands. She now is constantly in the bathroom flushing toilet paper down the toilet. I am glad that so far it is only toilet paper that she is flushing.

First she puts the toilet paper in.

Then, she thinks the lid has to be closed so she closes the lid. Then she flushes the toilet.

Then she has to hurry and open the lid to see the paper and water get flushed down. We have certainly been going through a lot of toilet paper this last week. Sorry to all of those wasted trees!

Sharing with Baby Brooke

Aubrey has been so sweet and interested in baby Brooke. She frequently rubs my tummy and says "baby" so gently and sweetly. It really seems like she is trying to bond with her sister. At the circus last week, towards the end, she pulled up my shirt a little and said "baby" while pointing to the show. She wanted to make sure Brooke saw the circus too! Luckily the lights were low, so nobody saw the nice view of my tummy! One of Aubrey's favorite things is stickers. Lately, when she is playing with stickers, she will put a bunch on my tummy for Brooke. I just hope she will be this willing to share once Brooke is on the outside!

Toddler Bed

Yesterday we bought a toddler bed from my cousin Shannon. We are planning on trying to transition Aubrey to a new bed and room before Brooke is born. My friend, Rachel, bought Shannon's other bed and was nice enough to pick up both beds for us and deliver Aubrey's to our garage. When we came home from our baptism and pulled up into the garage, Aubrey saw the new bed. I told her it was her new "big girl bed" while I was getting her out of the car. She immediately ran to the bed, jumped on it and started saying, "Ni Night." She laid on it, sat on it, climbed on and off of it. I was having serious trouble trying to get her into the house and it was way past her nap time. Finally I said, "Aubrey we have to go in now so you can take your nap." She jumped on the bed, started pointing to the mattress and said, "Ni Night". She wanted to take a nap on her new bed right there in the garage! Of course I couldn't let her do that!

Thanks Shannon for the cute bed - Aubrey obviously LOVES it!

Learning to Read

As I have put in many posts, Aubrey loves reading stories. All day long I hear "read read" while she is handing me books. Lately, Aubrey has been really interested in the words and numbers she sees on the pages. Last week we were reading her "Eight Silly Monkey's" story and she kept pointing to the words. So, I took her finger and would point to the words as I read them. She got really excited when I read the word "MaMa" on each page. Another day that week we were reading the same story and I said the word "MaMa" again (it has the word MaMa on each page), she got all excited and pointed up at the words as if to say - It says MaMa in those words somewhere. So, I pointed out for her the word MaMa. This morning Jeff was reading her the same story and comes running in to me. He said "look what Aubrey can do". She would turn each page and point out the word "MaMa" while exclaiming excitedly "MaMa". (the word Mama is not in the same place on each page. Some pages it's on the left side, some right, some top and some bottom. She is honestly able to recognize the word and point it out!) We were both so shocked and excited that she could do that. These little ones are so much smarter than I have ever believed. I would have never thought that a 1.5 year old could point out a word in a story. Aubrey never ceases to amaze me!

8 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh Heather, i love reading all these cute things about Aubrey! My twins were so into books too (almost to where it was annoying) and would read you the Story after long. They pick up on stuff so fast! Now that she has a Dora big girl bed, watch out, she will be growing up so fast! I love that she loves her new bed!

Summer Carlile said...

Wow what a little smatie! It was so fun seeing you guys the other day!

Karen said...

Good luck with the transition to the big bed. Katie has had a hard time but they are so excited to get them. She's a cutie.

Lyndee W. said...

I'm very impressed with the Mama story! They really do learn so fast!

Candace said...

I love the stories about Aubrey. It is so fun to hear about what she is doing and laugh and sometimes sympathize the things toddlers come up with never cease to amaze me.

Esther Attridge said...

hey I know you dig taking pics so I thought I'd tell you that my friend Bethany, who's a photographer, is holding a free one time photography class in the near future - I thought you might want to check it out! http://blog.bethanyjackman.com/2009/02/free-photo-101.html

Susan said...

Cute! I love that you got a picture of her pointing to "mama" too.

Keri said...

She should probably just skip grade school altogether and head into 9th grade! What a smartie pants!