Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Independence Weekend

We had a real fun independence weekend this year. Like many others, since the 4th fell on a Sunday, we celebrated all weekend long.

My parents came into town on Friday and we had a BBQ at my brother's house.

Brookie was in LOVE with Sophie. She could not get enough of her.



Esther made these really cute "corn on the cob cupcakes."



Then Saturday we had a BBQ at our house. Jeff set up a canopy & smoked some tri-tip and Summer & Steve brought some outdoor games.

Steve teaching Aubrey how to play badminton. It was real cute.





Brookie bonding with Grandpa. As long as he kept giving her some peas from our garden, she was happy.



Aubrey trying out the bubble wand Grandma gave her.



Brooke still eating the peas and posing with Summer.



Brooke had to give badminton a try too.



JJ stripped down and got into the dying pool (the smoker burned several holes in it), so Aubrey had to follow suit.



The badminton thingy (no idea the name of it) got stuck on the roof, and Esther was the brave one to go and recover it.



Brooke and Cali were having a cute little conversation. Cali was making babbling sounds and Brooke was copying her. It was too cute. I wish that I got it on video.



While we were cleaning up, Brooke thought she should try out the sunken pool also.



Then the kids got bathed and pj'd and we took off to a watch the fireworks. I decided to let the munchkins stay up this year and watch them - because I knew we would all love them.

We got to the field about an hour early. I couldn't believe Brooke was still wide awake, even though it was after 9. She must have sensed the excitement. Although you couldn't tell it from the pic. below. She was only mad because she wanted mommy to hold her, as usual.



Then we broke out the glow bracelets - which Aubrey and Brooke were thrilled with.



Aubrey saw some other kids running around and decided to join in the fun.



She even made a little friend.



Then she settled down with her flashlight and stories.



Brookie enjoying her milk.



And then the fireworks began!

Brooke immediately started hopping toward them trying to catch the fireworks. It was really cute.



The video is kinda dark, so hopefully you can see it a little in this uploaded version.



They both LOVED the fireworks.



I'm trying to hold Brooke back in this picture - she really thought she'd be able to get a hold of those fireworks!



For several days afterward, Aubrey would ask me every night, "Why don't we get to watch fireworks tonight?" Funny kid.

Sunday we had another dinner at my brother's house - but I failed to take any pics.

Then Monday we went as a family to a water park and had a blast. We let Aubrey choose what we were going to do that day and she said, "I want to go to the water park, so I can show daddy how brave I am that I go down the waterslides all by myself." She had a blast showing daddy all the things she likes to do there and how brave she is. I LOVED only having to keep track of one child at a time. It was a really fun day!

I hope everybody else had a fun Independence weekend! I sure am grateful for our country and the freedoms we enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun to have your Mom and Dad for the weekend!

Jules said...

the badminton thingy is called a birdie. not sure why I know that, but yea.
looks like fun!

Jules said...

haha, just kidding. I just looked it up to see if I was right, and I was not! it is called a shuttlecock. I think I like birdie better. :)

Karen said...

I am sad we missed the fun. It looks like such fun. I love the picture of Esther on the roof and Bryan safely on the ground. Men.