Tuesday, September 7, 2010

First Day of Preschool!

Today was Aubrey's first day of preschool and she was sooooo excited! We are doing a neighborhood preschool - where we all trade off teaching the class. I taught the first day today, so it was at our house. Which means I got to take pictures!


My mom always took a picture of us, every year on the first day, outside the front door. So even though technically Aubrey wasn't going anywhere - I had to take this shot!



Excitedly awaiting her friends to arrive!


Seeing the little preschool set up and picking her chair.


What a cute little bunch we have! Hurray it's time to start!


We are each randomly picking a letter for the day and using it as the theme for class. In case you don't remember - I love themes! I had a blast thinking of all the things we could do that start with the letter B.

We traced the letter B first. Then we had a little show and tell. All of the kids brought something that started with the letter B to show us.

I had collected a bunch of things that start with B and put them in a Bag. They took turns taking one thing out and as we named it we practiced making the B sound.

I gave Brookie her own bag of toys so I could focus on the other kids. It worked pretty good.


Then I read The Wiggly Caterpillar (Cause caterpillar's turn into Butterflies that start with a B). I had them pretend to be caterpillar's and act out the story as I read it. The other 2 did join in as I started reading more.


Then we pretended to be a Band. We sang four B songs, so each child could try each instrument. (Baby Bumble Bee, Wheels on the Bus, Boa Constrictor, & BINGO)




I think the band was one of their favorite parts.

Then we talked about animals that start with the letter B. I had stuffed animals to use as visuals. Then we talked about the colors that start with B. Then we did a coloring page and colored a Brown Bear, Blue Butterfly & Black Bat.

Next we went on a Brown Bag B hunt. I had hid cutouts of the letter B and they used Brown Bags to collect the B's they found.


Then it was craft time. They decorated Boxes with Buttons & Beads. I wrote their names in glue and they stuck on the buttons and beads. They seemed to really like this also.


Aubrey with her finished box.


You can kind of see her name if you look hard!


Snack time was next. We had Bread, Blueberries & Bananas in the shape of a Butterfly.




Last but not least was playtime. We played with water Balloons & Bubbles in the Backyard. (We were also going to go on a Bug hunt - but ran out of time)







As the kids were playing I saw Brooke just watching them intently. It was too cute!


It was such a fun morning! I wasn't sure what to expect behaviorally - I didn't know either of the boys very well. But, they all did fantastic. All of them definitely exceeded my expectations! We can't wait until next week! Especially since next week I just get to drop Aubrey off and get a little one on one Brooke time! I am sure Brooke will LOVE that!

No comments: