Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Bad Puppies

Yesterday we decided to enjoy the beautiful weather we are having this week and went to the park. I forgot to bring a sippy cup for Aubrey so she drank out of my water bottle. Of course she ended up getting as much on her shirt as she did down her throat. She didn't like the feeling of a wet shirt, so I took it off and put it in the sun to dry. While Aubrey was running around shirtless, 2 large puppies came running into the park without an owner. Of course, Aubrey saw them and started running right towards them. The puppies immediately jumped on top of Aubrey and scratched her poor shirtless back and arms. My poor Aubrey was scared, hurt and devastated. She couldn't believe that something she loves so much would hurt her. She cried for quite awhile. Once I got her calmed down, I tried to explain to her that they were just trying to play with her and they didn't mean to hurt her. She just kept making her sound for dog, while pointing to her arm and saying "scratch scratch." She just couldn't understand why they would scratch her. We continued to play at the park and the puppies would come and go. Every time she saw them coming she would grab on to me and cover her head in my shoulder.

I was afraid that Aubrey was going to inherit my fear of dogs. Panicking every time I see a dog has certainly not served me well in my life, and I didn't want that for Aubrey. So I decided the best thing to do was to get her right back on the horse. This morning we called Katie to see if we could come and visit her and Sophie. I knew since Sophie is such a nice puppy it would be a good experience for Aubrey.

When we got there Aubrey was definitely nervous of Sophie. She didn't want to get too close and would cower if Sophie got too near her.

But Katie helped to hold Sophie down and we got Aubrey to pet her a few times. Then Aubrey started playing more. She wanted to run and have Sophie chase her.

She still wouldn't get too close on own though.

Finally she got more comfortable and started bringing Sophie treats and toys to play with. And wanted to comb her hair.

Right before we left to go home, Aubrey finally pet Sophie without anyone holding her down and even gave her kisses "bye bye". So I think that doggies are back in Aubrey's good graces. But, I will definitely be more careful if we see any that aren't with their owners.

We have been teaching Aubrey to say "please" and "thank you" when she wants things. She knows exactly how to respond when she wants something and we say, "what do you say?" This morning Aubrey finally said "please" on her own without me asking her to. She was playing in the bathroom while I was getting ready. She found a tube of toothpaste and went to go throw it in the full tub. I told her not to, but she did it anyway. Then she wanted me to get it for her so she could put it back. I told her that she couldn't have it because she didn't listen to me. I figured I was going to get a tantrum, since that is what has been happening lately when she doesn't get her way. But, instead she looked at me with the most innocent eyes and signed and said at the same time, "pawease". That kid certainly knows how to get her way! I wanted to reinforce the "please" so I gave it back to her. I probably reinforced the disobeying at the same time - but how could I help it really!

1 comment:

Summer Carlile said...

That is so sad. That is how dogs have gotten bad reputation with me it is a good thing that Katie has a cute little nice dog though.