Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Family Home Evening

This last couple of weeks we decided to start having more formal FHE's. For over a year now we have had daily scriptures and family prayer and figured that was sufficient for now to count as FHE. We decided that now Aubrey is old enough to have more of a FHE. Last week I pretty much used the Sharing Time I had done in Primary and just made it a little more personal for our families guidelines. The lesson was on Keeping the Sabbath day holy. I had pictures of different activities and we sorted them into two boxes. One box had a picture of the Church - that was the Sunday box. So Aubrey picked a pic. out of a bag and we decided if it was something we do on Sunday or on a different day of the week. Aubrey really enjoyed it. I think that it really helped too. Lately she has been wanting to watch TV every Sunday morning - but we don't watch TV on Sunday. When we tell her that - she has been getting upset. Well this last Sunday, after we had our FHE lesson on it - she did not get upset at all. When we said to her that it was Sunday and we don't watch TV on Sunday, she responded with, "Oh yeah, church day." I thought it was really neat to see her learning from our lesson.

This week we talked about Temples in FHE. I found a little temple box to cut out and make from a past issue of the friend. (June 2008) I put some pictures of things that we do in the temple (things we can talk about, of course) and put them in the box. She then picked out pictures and we talked about them. The pictures were: A wedding picture of us - for being married in the temple, A family - for a family to be sealed, the earth - because we learn about the creation, a piano - we listen to sacred music while we wait, scriptures - we can read scriptures while we wait, baptism - baptism for the dead, & someone praying.

After the above activity I read a little story about a girl talking to her Mom about the temple in the same edition of the Friend. It was one of those where some of the words are replaced with pictures. I had Aubrey say temple whenever there was a picture of the temple.

Then we built a temple out of blocks. Aubrey loved that part!

I realized last minute that I hadn't planned anything for dessert. I had a box of brownies so I made those and then cut out the pieces in the shape of Salt Lake Temple. It's no work of art, I did it really quickly, but I thought it was kind of fun. After I did it, I didn't love that it was dark brown, so I put clear sparkly sprinkles on it to make it look more temple esque. Overall I thought it was a pretty fun FHE.

The little video below is of Jeff tickling Brooke and she is giggling. Of course, she was giggling much more before we got the camera out. But I did capture a few little giggles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We go through the same thing with Molly every Sunday about not watching movies. We'll have to try an FHE on that...she seems to actually get the lessons, it's so nice. I love all the temple stuff...cute ideas!

Lyndee W. said...

Cute ideas! You're such a great mom!