Saturday, August 8, 2009

Poodle Skirts

I know this seems really early to be posting about Halloween costumes - but in case you didn't know - we are really into Halloween at our house!

Jeff decks out the yard and I just love Cuties in Costumes! I was especially excited this year because I now have 2 girls that I can dress up alike. I started thinking about what I wanted them to be this year and I remembered a fifties girl costume I saw last year that I really wanted, but it was way out of my price range. ($60) So I decided I could just make them poodle skirts myself.

I just finished making the skirts and am so thrilled with how they turned out! They are just like I imagined them in my head. I LOVE that when that happens! So, without further adieu, here are the girls poodle skirts.

I'm gonna save pics of the girls in them until the Halloween festivities begin. I did a black waistband so it would look like they were wearing a cinch belt. (That's what the girls wore in the fifties, I learned from my researching.)

They were actually pretty easy to make. The hardest part was figuring out all of the dimensions - since I didn't use a pattern. But, once I figured that part out - it was super easy and very little sewing.

I thought that the skirts would need a petticoat so I made thin tutu's for the girls to act as petticoats now and then I would fill them out after Halloween for dress up. Well, I discovered that felt holds it's shape really well and so they won't need the petticoats. So, now I can just fill out the below tutu's so they are nice and poufy.

So here's a very early Happy Halloween to all of you!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow you are so organized and those poodle skirts are sure cute!!

Anonymous said...

That time of year is coming around where I remember I wish I had a certain talent...creativity and sewing skills! Those look really cute!

John and Ann Tolman said...

How fun...I think Aunt Sue and Aunt Marlene would remember them...but not your dad and me, no, we are way too young to remember that,HEE,HEE!!!

Nelson Family said...

Those are adorable! We have also been planning our costumes. We can't wait!! :)

aubrie said...

Cute! These are adorable, Heather. You are so creative & crafty! I'm excited to see the girls in them for Halloween!

Summer Carlile said...

Those are adorable!

Natalie, Jon, Emma, Grace and Seth said...

you're not the only one getting ready for halloween. the kids have already started discussing what they'll be. grace decided she'll be dora and seth can be boots.