Monday, January 11, 2010

FHE

We had a nice Family Home Evening tonight. I adapted it from a Sharing Time I gave last week.

We talked about how we have bodies and Spirits and how Heavenly Father is the father of our Spirit.

I began by showing Aubrey some mittens of all different colors and sizes. We talked about how they looked different, but that they were all gloves. I then told her that they were like bodies. How we all have bodies but that they looked different from each other just like the gloves. Then we sang, "Head Shoulders Knees and Toes" to help her understand what her body is and to make it more active and fun for her.

I then asked her if the mittens could move around or do anything. Which of course they can't. I helped her put a mitten on and had her move her fingers and wave her hands to show her that with her hand in the mitten it could move and do all sorts of things. I told her that that was like her Spirit. She has a Spirit in her body that makes it possible for her to move and run and jump, etc. Then we sang, "Do as I'm Doing" to further illustrate what the Spirit enables the body to do. Aubrey loved this song, I think it's the first time she has sung it. Brooke really liked it too she was all smiles and giggles as daddy helped her do the actions.

Then I asked her who was the daddy of her body. She of course pointed to Jeff. Then I told her that she has a father of her Spirit also. I explained that Heavenly Father was the Father of her Spirit and that she is his daughter also. I showed her a mirror and asked her what she saw. She answered, "me". I told her that she also sees a "Child of God" when she looks in the mirror. And that she should remember that every time that she sees herself in the mirror.

I then asked her if Mommy and Daddy love her and how much they love her. She answered, "So so much!" I told her that her Heavenly Father loves her too and that he loves her even more than we do. He loves her so much that he wants her to make right choices so that she can return to live with him again someday.

Then we closed by singing "I am a Child of God."

Aubrey really enjoyed both the learning and the songs we sang. I loved that there was very little prep but that it was a very effective and fun FHE.

And then for dessert daddy made us . . .



. . . delicious homemade donuts! He got to use the Kitchen Aid that he got me for Christmas and enjoyed not having to knead the dough!

Then after the kids went to bed we got to watch 3 hours of "Chuck"! We're so happy the new season has begun!

It was a great night spent with the fam!

5 comments:

Heather Kelley Pinegar said...

Hi you don't know me but I found your blog from Shannon, she is my cousin too. We have girls the same ages and you have the BEST ideas on your blog that I so appreciate!! I really struggle with FHE and have found your blog to be oh so helpful! Your girls are adorable and you seem to be such an amazing mommy with incredible ideas!! Thank you for sharing them

Buell Fam said...

Thank you so much, Heather, for the kind words. You made my day!

I actually wasn't planning on posting about FHE. I was working on the post before and had a little thought that I should post on our FHE because someone maybe could use the idea. So it lookes like that post was just for you!

Amy said...

Hi, I work with Jeff at BYU :). He can tell you who I am. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing your instruction on how to make the cute flowers you have on your daughters' hats.

I'm not sure if this will show you my blog... because I'm not an avid blogger. So my email (just in case) is amy.ehuntington@gmail.com.



Thank you!
Amy Huntington

Karen said...

I loved your FHE. They did that in our Primary too and it turned out great. Chuck? What's that? Am I missing something good?

aubrie said...

Your FHEs are always so creative, I'm impressed! I'm trying to make a mental note to remember them when we have kids.

And Chuck, oh...Chuck! I love it!