Sunday, February 28, 2010

FHE

I thought I'd post about the last few FHE's we had, in case it could be of use to anyone.

1) A few weeks back I had made a game for Sharing Time that would be fun for FHE as well. It was pretty easy and turned out fun. It could be used as a review for any topics that have been covered in your FHE's.

It was a 5th Sunday, so there was no topic or lesson ideas in the Sharing Time Outline. So I thought it would be fun to make up a game that would review what we had learned all month.

First I made a dice out of a 6x6 square box I got at a stationary store. I came up with 6 categories for questions. (The topics of the last 4 weeks, a song category, and a "apply what we learned" category.)

Then I found pics that would represent the themes. I did pictures instead of words for the non-readers in Primary. I printed out 2 copies of the pictures. I glued one copy of the pictures on each face of our dice and the other copy onto the top of a poster board.



Then I came up with questions for each of the categories and glued them on under their respective category. Then I covered up the questions by taping another paper on top.

A child rolled the dice and then uncovered a question from the category the dice landed on.

It was fun both in Primary and for FHE. Aubrey was a little sick that day, so I think we might do it again in a few months. Since she is only 2, repeat lessons are not a problem for us!



2) Another fun FHE we did was on Gratitude & Giving. I found pics of many of the blessings we have. (food, clothes, home, car, toys, etc.) Aubrey picked them out of a bag as we discussed all of the blessings that we have. Then we talked about how there are many people who do not have the same blessings that we have and that Heavenly Father expects us to share what we have with them. We told her about some children in an Orphanage in Haiti who do not have enough food to eat and are hungry. We told her that we wanted to help them and give them food so they won't be hungry. We then went together to the grocery store and bought some food to donate to the orphanage.

Aubrey still remembers that FHE and talks about the "Children in Haiti" and "those people that don't have any food."

3) The week of Valentines we had to talk about love. We did a very simple lesson on loving others. For our opening song we taught Aubrey, "Love One Another." Then we helped her memorize the second half of Matt 19:19 "Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." We talked about who our neighbors are and what it means to love them as thyself. Then we did a very simple game. Jeff and I gave her situations that were either loving or not loving. She then did the thumbs up for loving ones and thumbs down for not loving ones. She enjoyed this and then wanted to add a few situations of her own for us to play along.

Earlier that day Aubrey had told me that she wanted to make a cake for FHE. So I happened to have a heart shaped cake pan, so we made a heart shaped cake to go along with our theme.



Of course Aubrey had to add sprinkles!



Before FHE begins Aubrey always has to play a song for us on the piano & sings. It has become a family tradition. This time she invited Brooke to join her on the piano. Brooke was thrilled!





Tomorrow for FHE we are going to take a little field trip to a local animal museum that has a reptile show. On the way we will talk about Heavenly Father's creations. I think both girls will enjoy it!

I am really enjoying doing short, simple but very interactive FHE lessons. Aubrey really loves family home evening and asks often, "Is it family home evening night?" I love the warm, peaceful feeling I have when we are all together for family home evening.

No comments: