Sunday, May 16, 2010

Brooke Update







Since I use this blog as a record of my girls development, I need to interrupt my Canada posting to record what 13 month old Brooke is up to.

Brooke has gone through a MAJOR personality transformation this month. Gone is my laid back, go with the flow, hardly cause any trouble little baby. She has turned into a toddler that's for sure. Much of her toddler - ness is very cute and fun, but lots of it is less than desirable as well!

Brooke has really started talking. She is much more verbal than Aubrey was at this age. She is saying, "Ma ma, Da da, Baby, Aubrey, Brookie, Bye Bye, Ni ni, Bear, Ball, Bunny, Jesus" and I think there are more words that I can't remember right now. She is very good at repeating words and sounds that we are saying. It's really fun having her talk so much. However, she is not real interested in signing, so I am seeing more frustration because she can't always communicate what she wants.

She also is just a mimicking machine. She will copy and follow along with everything going on. The other day I watched as she pulled pj's out of her drawer, put them up to her head and then down to her body and held them tight to her center, as if they were on her. She did it over and over again. She also tries to put on necklaces and bracelets just like Aubrey. She loves to brush hair - hers and toys hair. She also likes to wash her own hair in the tub. She has no problem dumping a cup full of water over her head. After she drinks water she says, "Aaaaah" because she has heard Aubrey and daddy do that. She also will pick up Aubrey's play food and dishes, pretend to take a bite and say, "Mmmmm."

She's started giving kisses - they are so sweet! I LOVE that she can show me some affection. The other day she picked up a stuffed bear, gave it a big hug, patted it's back and then gave it kisses. It was so darling.

She has also started coloring pictures. I am so happy that both of my girls got over the "put everything immediately into your mouth" stage at around 1 year. Now, she still puts things into her mouth on occasion, but that is usually after a complete inspection and after trying to use it as she has seen us use it.



Maybe I have another artist on my hands! Besides coloring books, she also likes to color with the sidewalk chalk.



She is getting much more daring with her climbing and pulling herself up. She was in her little car and climbed right out of the window. I am sure she hurt herself upon landing, but didn't make a sound. I only knew about it because Aubrey told me that she fell out. I'm glad to see that she is not quite as wussy as her sister!

Now, for some of the not so fun things about our little 1 year old. She has become quite demanding. She will pretty much throw a tantrum complete with screaming, kicking and punching if she does not get what she wants when she wants it, or has her diaper changed or has something taken away from her. She has bigger tantrums at 1 than Aubrey ever has had. Now, Aubrey has always been fussy and cries a lot, but she has never done the screaming, punching, kicking bit. So, this is brand new territory for me. And I've got to say, I'm not loving it.

Also, my good little eater has gotten quite picky. Not only will she not eat everything in front of her, but she also REFUSES to let us feed her. She will get mad and knock everything off of her tray if we try and help her.



So, I've pretty much thrown in the towel and started letting her feed herself, no matter how messy it gets. She actually does a pretty good job using her utensils.



She also ONLY wants to eat what is on other peoples plates. Even if she has the exact same thing on her tray, she wants yours. She also does not like her food to be cut up, especially if everyone else's is not cut up. So as long as it is not a major chocking hazard, I give her her food whole.

This is her eating her big ole' quesedilla. It was really funny watching her try and eat it as it was flopping around while she was trying to get it into her mouth.



She also has become very clingy. This would be my least favorite part of this stage. I never knew how much I need my space until I've had children who are all over me all day long! She still goes to others better than Aubrey, but definitely prefers me. And unless she is really entertained she will pull at my pants or hang on to my legs whenever she is not in my arms. It's so fun to try to get anything done! I'm hoping that this is short lived!

She is also much more "into things" than Aubrey was. She has to touch and grab everything in sight, especially if Aubrey is playing with it! Nothing within her reach is safe.

So there is the good and the bad about our newly transformed Brookie Bug. She is still our darling little doll and there is still a sweetness about her (especially when she is not throwing a fit!) We sure do love our Brookie Cookie and watching the new independent person she is becoming. We look forward to watching all of the growth and development that will be happening this year!

1 comment:

Nelson Family said...

Such a cutie..her hair is sure getting lighter!